Wednesday, March 24, 2010

B is for Butterfly

This week we are learning about butterflies. We are using the example of a caterpillar changing into a butterfly to illustrate how God can make us new. In my process of explaining this to Liberty, I said something along the lines of "When we decide to love Jesus with all of our hearts and become a Christian, we put off our old selves (like a caterpillar) and become new (like a butterfly)." Liberty seemed to understand the concept and replied by saying that when we are new, we obey God's commands and try to do things that please Him. This seemed like a reasonable interpretation to me, so I moved on, trusting that she understood the metaphor. Today I asked her to explain to Scott what she had learned about the butterfly life cycle. This is what she told him...

"First there is a tiny little egg."

"Then there is a caterpillar, which is the larvae."

"Then the Chrysalis."

"Then the caterpillar turns into a butterfly and it becomes a Christian!"

It was absolutely priceless. Rather than destroy her confidence and little spirit, Scott and I just praised her for remembering her lesson so well. Obviously, the metaphor didn't go over as well as I thought. Nonetheless, I like the idea of little Christian butterflies =). I guess I'll take another stab at the concept at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment