Saturday, July 24, 2010

Frugal Living – Homemade Spice Rack/Cabinet organizer

SomeIMG_0512times to save money, you just have to be creative and think outside the box.  Repurposing and recycling items for things other than their intended use is sometimes a great way to save money.

I got this idea the other day when I was in Bed Bath and Beyond.  I have been having a major issue with all my spices.  I bought a spice rack several months ago, but it just isn’t big enough.  It holds my most popular spices, but what do I do with the rest?  Well, they get stuffed in my cabinets and then when I need them I literally have to take them out one by one until I find what I need.  It is time consuming and frustrating, especially when I have limited cabinet space and no other real options.  Anyway, I stumbled upon these cabinet organizers at the store and that is when I had my brilliant idea :).

cabinet organizer$5.99 at Bed, Bath and Beyond

Instructions for your very own homemade spice rack/cabinet organizer.

Supplies:

  • 3 cereal boxes
  • scissors
  • tape
  1. Cut the first cereal box in half.
  2. Fit the two pieces inside one another so you have a smaller box with four sides.
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the next box.  This tier will need to be smaller than the previous so make adjustments as you cut it.
  4. Next stack the box tiers.  Largest on bottom and tape them together.
  5. Voila!  You just saved $5.99!

 IMG_0513-2Top viewIMG_0514Side view IMG_0515-2stacked and ready to organize 

This worked great.  Plus, the tiers are larger than the store bought version so you can put more spices on them and they are easier to see.  Don’t worry about what the cereal boxes look like.  As you can see from the very first picture, you can’t even tell they are cereal boxes once you have your spices on them. 

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment