Monday, April 11, 2011

Emory Update

628Ok, so much for blogging in 2011.  I’m only about four months behind!  I’m going to try to be better—starting with this post about Emory Smile.

Emory is 21 months old now.  Wow, the time is sure flying and she isn’t a baby anymore.  I think I got a little spoiled since she didn’t walk until she was 17 months.  I was hoping she would stay little longer.  Well, not only is she walking, but she has started to run.  Like everything else she does, she has her own style.  When she takes off, she ducks her head down and pumps her little arms.  She acts like she’s taking off in a 100m dash and its little more than a fast walk.  The most super cute thing ever!!!

One of my favorite and simultaneously most hated thing she does is twirl her hair.  She’s done it since she was very small.  It started out as a way to put herself to sleep, but now she does it all the time.  It’s her comfort thing.  It’s really cute, but the reason I also hate it is because she twirls her hair into knots.  She doesn’t have a lot of hair as it is and the knots are so bad that I have to cut them out.  Right now she is sporting what I like to refer to as a layered look.  That’s being kind, since I pretty much just hack the knot off wherever it occurs.  Thankfully her hair is so thin and wavy that it really doesn’t look that bad.  I hope she stops it before her hair gets thicker and more difficult to cut!

622

Sleepy hair twirling

I finally took her to the pediatrician for her 18 months well-child check.  I’ve been terrible about doing this since we don’t have insurance and because I don’t vaccinate.  It seemed kind of ridiculous to take her when she was perfectly healthy (and thankfully she has been remarkably healthy)!  She was still doing great at 18 months, but I was a little concerned about her speech.  She still isn’t talking—not a single word, no Mama, no DaDa—nothing!  I have been waiting to take her because it is obvious that she isn’t delayed in any other area.  She has also developed a remarkable sign language all her own and is quite capable of expressing herself and letting us know what she needs.  Anyway, the pediatrician recommended she be evaluated by early intervention services (SoonerStart).  I’m familiar with the services because of Lilly and I knew she would recommend we do it.  After her evaluation, it was determined that she is right on target or exceeds her age in every category except expressive language.  She scored around 24 months for language comprehension.  Again, I had assumed this was the case, which is why I let is go for so long.  She will start speech therapy this week.  It will be very low key and I will be responsible for making the recommended changes.  Her speech pathologist will only see her every other week.  I’m great with that and definitely don’t want to do anything more intense at this time.

Our two biggest challenges are still the binky and sleeping.  Both are a result of mommy’s overindulgence!  I have set her 2nd birthday as the termination date for the binky.  I have to get myself geared up for it.  I know it probably won’t be as bad as think.  She takes great naps.  She is down to one nap a day.  The problem is nighttime.  She is still sleeping with us.  She sleeps great with us and we actually don’t mind it most of the time.  Scott and I go back and forth about it and still haven’t come up with a good or consistent plan to get her sleeping on her own.

704

In her bed (with the cat) at naptime

We are really beginning to see her personality develop.  She is so like Liberty in a lot of ways, but at the same time very different.  It will be interesting to watch them grow.  She has a very affectionate and compassionate personality just like Liberty.  She doesn’t like to see others hurt and is quick to comfort them.  She is still very funny.  I think she is definitely going to have a more care-free spirit, unlike our brooding, worrisome Liberty.

Other interesting facts about Emory….

1.  She loves shoes.  She wants to wear them all the time.

2.  She is such a show-off and desires praise from everyone.  Telling her she looks beautiful is one of her favorite things.

3.  Favorite food is pizza followed closely by rice.

4.  Her favorite activity is swinging.  Don’t start pushing her unless you intend to stay at awhile!

5.  She is finally able to go to her own class during church.  Sweet Victory!!

6.  She is definitely going to suffer from allergies/asthma just like Liberty did.  Let’s just hope she’s grows out of them like her sister did as well!

7.  The only other toys she typically plays with are blocks and plastic food.  She loves to pretend to cook.

8.  Her favorite movie is High School Musical.  Is that ok?  Am I a bad mom?

9.  She loves books.

10.  She loves to be outside.

11.  She always reminds us to pray before dinner.  She reaches for everyone’s hands and smiles really big. 

12.  She has learned to unlock my iPhone.  I’m just glad she didn’t learn sooner.

13.  She loves to wash her hands and brush her teeth.

14.  Her favorite game is wrestling on my bed.

15.  She’s still not the best eater, but her new favorite snacks are cereal bars and granola bars.

16.  She’s not crazy about bath time.

17.  She thinks it’s really hilarious to wear mine and Liberty’s shoes.

18.  She hates it when her hands are dirty.  It’s a real pain when she eats with her hands instead of a fork because I have to wipe them off between each bite.  Thankfully she is getting really good with her utensils.

19.  She loves her Nana and Papa.  She is a real Papa’s girl.  Funny since we don’t see them all that regularly.

20.  She has both ridden and fallen off her first horse.  Very scary for mommy!

714

I just adore her.  I am thrilled that God blessed us with another child and that it was her!

692

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy, I'm not sure that you would remember me but I was a friend of Scott's back at CJC. Anyway, my husband and I have twins that will be 21 months this month. I just wanted to say "kudos to you guys for not vaccinating!" Our twins have not had vaccinations either. It's hard to find people that don't and we are currently seeing a pedi in Grapevine that is okay with it. Ok, I'll stop rambling, was just excited to see that you don't vaccinate. lol

    ReplyDelete