Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Slowly but surely

I can already tell I am going to have a hard time keeping up with this blog!  Liberty is continuing to love "doing school" and is really learning a lot.  Even though I raced through the first 3 weeks of lessons to move on to something more challenging, it is still a little slow for Liberty.  I am trying very hard to be patient and remember that it's not a race.  Even though Liberty knows a lot of the material we are covering now, it is still extremely valuable.

I am especially enjoying the Bible lessons.  Each week Liberty has "words to remember."  They are basically simplified Bible verses.  She is so great a remembering and understanding what these verses mean.  My absolute favorite has been this week as we have learned about the fruit of the Spirit.  She latched right on to the one about self-control.  Liberty has a problem, like a lot of young children, with self-control.  Primarily this occurs in the form of tantrums or yelling at us when she doesn't get her way.  She is now working on controlling her emotions and outbursts :).

She seems to be struggling the most with handwriting.  This is my fault, I'm sure, since I encouraged her to write at such a young age.  She has been able to write all her upper case letters for quite sometime and most of her lower case letters.  The problem is that she has her own way of forming the letters which isn't always the correct way.  She is having relearn how to correctly form the letters, which sometimes frustrates her.  I also think her handwriting is terrible, but I know it will improve with more practice.  At this point I am just trying to make sure she is not being overly sloppy!

Her favorite part of her lessons usually include any of the activities that require her to make something.  She especially loves to make books.  She recently made a book called "A Tree is Nice."  I was so impressed with her illustrations.  After she was finished with all the drawings, she told me what to write next to each picture.  It is so cute.




I am really looking forward to the day she can read.  Scott and I love reading and I hope that she will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment