Wednesday, October 28, 2009

T is for Turtle

I don't quit; I persevere.

This has been my favorite unit to date.  For this unit, Liberty focused on the letter T and learned all about Turtles.  As an introduction to turtles we read the book All about Turtles by Jim Arnosky.  Then, Liberty and I put together a lapbook with tons of fun turtle facts.

Lapbooking is one of my favorite ways to introduce new information.  It gives Liberty a creative way to organize all the facts about our current unit in one place.  Plus, it can be used over and over again.  This lapbook is from Homeschool Share.  Check it out here.


Liberty's verse this week was about perseverance.  There are just some verses that she latches on to better than others and this was one of them.  Earlier this week Liberty bought a new dress and needed new shoes to match.  We shopped all day and couldn't find the perfect shoes.  At the last store I told her we would just have to try again another day.  She said, "Mom, I'm not going to give up.  I'm going to persevere!"  It was so cute.  It took me a while to convince her that I was exhuasted and we would have to "persevere" another day!


Paper plate turtle

The best part of this unit was that Liberty started reading three letter words.  We are combining short vowel sounds with the consanants we have already learned.  I am so excited about Liberty learning to read!  It is definitely one of the things I have looked forward to the most.  We also did a vowel lapbook for this unit.






5 comments:

  1. It is so exciting when they start putting letters and sounds together to start reading their first words!

    I love your lapbook!

    I am going to add you to my reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the paper plate turtle is a great idea - we should do one soon. Just need to remember to buy some paper plates. :) Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun!! I'm hoping to start doing some more lapbooks again soon too - I love them!!

    Thanks for joining up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the lapbook. We started doing lapbooks in the summer and stopped but we need to go back to doing them again. The are fun and educational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your turtle lapbook. I so didn't think to check for a lapbook when we were studying turtles.

    ReplyDelete