Thursday, February 4, 2010

H is for Horse

Memory Work:
"I obey right away"

Bible Verses
Colossians 3:20
Luke 2:51
James 1:22

I hope I'm not the only homeschool mom who has had a difficult time getting back into the swing of things after the holidays!  The first week back was great, the second...um, not so much, and now I finally feel like we are back on track.  It doesn't help that the weather has been horrible and public schools have been cancelled several times over the past couple of weeks.  However, during our Horse unit, we did have a break in the weather and we headed out to the zoo to check out the Zebras.  Our zoo has two types of zebras.  This is the more common Zebra.  you can tell because its stripes are wider on its bottom.  We also learned the answer to the age-old question "Is a zebra black with white stripes or white with black stripes?"  They are white with black stripes!

I really wanted to take Liberty to some stables to see how horses are cared for and some of the jobs horses perform; however, the weather didn't cooperate.  I was also disappointed that I couldn't find a decent lapbook on horses.  I started to put one of my own together, but didn't manage to get it finished.  I think I will keep working on it and share it later!

We watched two movies about horses:  Spirit: The Stallion of the Cimmaron and Black Beauty.  I have to admit I liked Spirit better :).  Black Beauty was unbeliveably sad.  Since I didn't read the book as a child, I was completely unaware that it was such a sad story.  Liberty liked it though.  I did like how it depicted horses in many different roles.

Liberty also created this wonderful little model of a horse.  She used homemade soft clay, which made it a little more tricky.  We will definitely use modeling clay for such detailed endeavors in the future.  She is such a perfectionist.  It is very difficult to for me to keep her motivated and working if everything doesn't turn out exactly perfect the first time.  I try to encourage her and tell her that no artist creates a perfect sculpture or drawing the very first time--they continue to work and work until its what they envisioned.  This doesn't always work, but this time she did manage to finish her little horse.  I think it turned out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment