Monday, January 11, 2010

I is for Insect

Memory Work
"I am a wise child, so I work hard."

Bible Verses
Proverbs 6:6-9
Proverbs 10:4-5
Colossians 3:23-24

So, we are back up and running after the holidays.  I have to admit that I really enjoyed lounging around and not doing lesson plans!  We started back up with a unit on insects.  I wish that this unit could have been done in the spring.  It would have made studing bugs so much easier.  Despite not being able to get outside much, we managed to study ants by creating out own Ant Hill.  This has been so much fun and I think I have enjoyed it as much as Liberty.  We bought and Ant Hill and ordered the ants.  They came in the mail and we put them in our Ant Hill.  I was a little skeptical at first because half the ants were dead when they arrived and the rest looked like they might not make it through the night.  While the first 24 hours were slow, our ants were soon busy busy busy building their tunnels.  We loved coming in from running errands or waking up in morning to see how much they had gotten done while we were away.  They are such hard workers and if you watch closely you can see that each one has a specific job.  Some of our ants dug tunnels, others gathered the sand from the digging and formed piles, some buried the dead ants, and others tended to the food we put in there.  It was fascinating to watch.  We are just sad that they don't live very long.   If you are studying insects and Ant Hill is a must!

Liberty is rapidly learning how to read.  We are still in the "sounding things out" phase, but she is gradually adding more and more words that she recognizes by sight.  I must admit that the process of teaching Liberty to read can be very frustrating and challenging.  I have to constantly remind myself not to push too hard.  I definitely don't want her to hate reading, especially when I love it so much.

One of our projects this week was to paint a rock to look like a ladybug.  It turned out so cute and Liberty loved it.  This a great project for your little ones too!



Well, that is all we managed to get done our first week back from vacation.  Maybe this week will be more productive.

1 comment: