Sunday, January 3, 2010

Six months old!


I feel like these updates are coming closer and closer together!  The picture to the left is completely characteristic of my 6-month-old Emory.  She is unbelieveably sweet and happy.  I can't imagine what my days would be like without her and we have only had her for such a short time.  She's is growing so quickly and doing new and fun things everyday.  I'm going to try to be very thourough with this update.

Eating:
She is still nursing every 3-4 hours.  She is very consistent and wakes up every night at 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. to eat.  I guess that would mean she is only eating once at night, but I don't get up a 6 a.m. so it still seems like twice a night to me :)!  We have added cereal and bananas to her diet.  She is indifferent to both.  She opens her mouth for the very first bite and then I basically have to shove the rest in because she loses interest.  I am feeding her solid foods at lunch and at her last meal before bed.  I am also making all the baby food this time around.  I've never done it before, but since I stay at home, I don't think it should be that big a deal.  Plus it should save us a little money :).

First bite of bananas

Sleeping:
She is getting close to taking only two naps a day.  The problem is that she doesn't want to sleep for long periods of time.  She only wants to sleep for 20-30 minutes at a time, which equals several little naps throughout the day.  She starts getting really sleepy around 7-8 p.m.  I wish I could just put her to bed then, but inevitably she just wakes up.  Then after taking a late 30 minute nap, she is up until 10.  Maybe now that the holidays are over and we will be going back to bed at a decent hour, she will get on a good nighttime routine as well.  At night she sleeps in a Sleep Sack which she really likes.  She still likes to sleep with a blankie although she doesn't require it.  If she does use it, I take it away after she falls asleep.

Physical Development:
I have no idea what she weighs.  Probably in the neighborhood of 17-18 pounds.  Her 6 month WCC is on Monday and I am really anxious to find out how much she has grown.  She is transitioning out of her 3-6 months clothes and into her 6-9 month clothes.  Her little legs and cheeks are so fat.  I just love it!

Motor Development:
She is has made so much progress in this area.  She can now sit by herself for long periods of time.  It is so much fun.  Now she can play in the floor or her in her pack-n-play and she can sit up in the grocery basket and highchairs!  To celebrate her new abilities she got a shopping cart/highchair cover for Christmas.

sitting in the floor, highchair at the Grand House, and grocery shopping!

She is still only rolling over from her stomach to her back.  She is showing no interest in rolling the other direction and recently she has decided she is too fat to even roll from her stomach.  Granted, she doesn't get much tummy time.  I am the worst about doing intentional tummy time.  Primarily because we have all wood floors and because she HATES it.  She get hysterical which I can't stand.  She can now grab toys and bring them to her.  Typically if she can get a hold of it, it goes directly into her mouth.  She loves holding small, light things like her little plastic spoons.

Emotional/Cognitive Development:
She has started to show signs of anxiety when strangers or people she hasn't seen in awhile want to hold her.  She doen't mind if they talk to her as long as she in the comfort of her mommy's arms.  She has also starting acting shy when Scott plays with her.  He talks to her and aggrevates her and she will bury her head in my chest.  So cute!  She has also start reaching for me when I go to pick her up or take her from someone else.  This is absolutely the best thing ever.  It makes me feel so special :)!

Just for fun:
One of my favorite things lately is her voice.  She is getting very vocal and at times gets quite loud.  This is especially funny when she chooses to exercise her vocal chords in public.  Check out the video below.  I think she was totally excited about watching Star Wars (you can hear it in the background).  If you are reading this post on facebook, go to my blog to see the video.


Liberty is still the only one who can make her laugh on demand.  This is such a treat.  They love each other so much!

One of her favorite activities is still swinging.  I just wonder how long this will last.  My parents bought her a new swing for Christmas.  It goes up to 40 pounds and converts into a rocking chair when they outgrow the swing.  She LOVES it!




Her smile is still the best thing I have ever seen.  I can't get enough of it!  She is such a joy and we are so very much in love with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment