Saturday, January 23, 2010

Trip to Texas

Scott sent us away earlier this week so he could get some work done.  We didn't complain too much and were happy to head to my parent's house in Texas for a few days of R&R while Scott put in some long hours.  I was nervous to make the trip solo because Emory has not proven to be a good traveller; however,  we were completely blessed and she was an absolute angel going and coming home!

Our unseasonably warm weather followed us all the way there and it was a least 70 degrees when we arrived.  Liberty commenced playing outside immediately.  This monster jungle gym is the newest addition to my parent's backyard and Liberty loves it.  She spent a good 30 minutes playing Star Wars.  She was Princess Leia, I was Han Solo, and Emory was Yoda :).





Emory didn't mind being cast in the role of Yoda and was perfectly content to play along as long as she got to swing in the process.


While we all enjoyed being outside for a change, it totally backfired when Liberty began to suffer a major allergy attack.  Despite her runny nose and coughing, she was determined to enjoy the warm weather.  Thankfully, Emory and I were not affected by whatever was in the air.

We also made the long trip to Rochester to visit Lilly's grave and decorate her tree for Valentines.  We have gotten in the habit of decorating her tree not just for Christmas, but for any major holiday that happens to be coming up.  Obviously, we don't get to do this often since we live so far away, but we love it when we do get to.  On Monday night, my mom and Liberty made Valentines to put on the tree.  It turned out so cute and Liberty had a blast.


I also made a point to take more pictures of the cemetary and surrounding area this time.  I know I've talked about how way out in the middle of nowhere this place is, but I wanted to capture it to really make my point.  So, this is what Rochester, Texas looks like in the winter...

Across the vast expanse of nothing, you can see the giant windmills.  I think they are so beautiful.

Rochester is primarily a farming community.  There are fields as far as the eye can see.  The air is filled with white dust and the sides of the roads are laced with fuzzy white cotton from the recent harvest.

This is the second time Emory has visited her sister's grave.  She looks so much like Lilly.  I'm sad that she will never meet her sister this side of Heaven, but I am storing up memories like this so one day I can tell her all about Lilly and our amazing adventure.

On Wednesday we did absolutely nothing.  We stayed home and just enjoyed relaxing and visting with my parents.  We headed back to OK first thing Thursday morning.  We had a great time and Scott got caught up on work.  Back to our routine on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment