Monday, December 1, 2008

Visiting Lilly

Lilly is buried in a historic cemetary in Rochester, Texas. The towns population is 378 and the cemetary is surrounded on all four sides with acres and acres of cotton fields. She is surrounded by generations of family going back to the late 19th century. It is truly God's country and a perfectly peaceful place to remember her. We went to visit last Wednesday. I thought it would be special for all of us if we planted a tree and decorated it for Christmas. It will also be a nice tradition that we can do every year. I bought a dwarf spruce and planted it at Lilly's graveside. Liberty had a blast decorating it and thought it was so wonderful that Lilly would have her own Christmas tree.

She started to get sad once she finished decorating the tree and didn't have anything to distract her. She sat beside Lilly headstone and looked at her picture the rest of the time. Right before we left she said the most precious prayer. Even in her moment of sadness she was able to thank God for Lilly and praise Him because she is in Heaven. I think we can all relate. We are overjoyed that Lilly is with her Creator and that soon we will join her, but we miss having her here with us!

Lilly's headstone turned out absolutely beautiful with one exception--her last name is spelled wrong. We called about it right away and the place that made it is going to fix it, no problem. Here are the pictures. Just use your imagination and pretend its spelled correctly :-). The stone matches the other family stones that are around hers. Her great grandparents and great uncle are buried right across from her.

Right after we finished decorating the tree a little butterfly flew up and landed right on it. It was the craziest thing considering it is way to cold for butterflies. Nonetheless, the little thing couldn't get enough of Lilly's tree and hung around until we left. It was really sweet and a perfect reminder of our precious girl. It was beautiful day and we had a great time remembering our princess and all the joy she brought to our lives.

5 comments:

  1. That is beautiful Amy. It's pretty crazy that our kids headstones were put in pretty close to the same time. I'm so glad you guys got to go and do that. It looks wonderful and I love her sweet little picture. we are praying for you for Christmas and I agree, I can't wait until we are reunited with our precious kids in heaven! We love you guys!
    Lydi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't even comment. Just crying. Love you guys so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy~

    I am so glad you and your family were able to spend time with Lilly on Thanksgiving. Her headstone and the tree you planted are really beautiful! I know you don't know me and I don't really know you, but I feel like I do after reading so many of your writings. My heart truly cries for you AND rejoices with you. Your faith is amazing and you are such an inspiration. Your little Liberty is following right in your footsteps. Our world will be a better place because of you and the children you bring into this world...boy or girl! ;0) Continue doing what you do. You are making a mark on this world. One day soon, you will see your precious little Lilly again and then our God will say, "Well done my good and faithful servant." Oh, what a glorious day that will be!

    In His Cradling Hands,
    Teresa Stephens
    Newnan, GA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to share this sweet poem with you. I touched my heart so deeply and brings me peace. I hope it does you, too.



    My First Christmas in Heaven

    I see the countless Christmas trees
    around the world below
    With tiny lights, like Heaven's stars,
    reflecting on the snow.

    The sight is so spectacular,
    please wipe away the tear
    for I am spending Christmas
    with Jesus Christ this year.

    I hear the many Christmas songs
    that people hold so dear
    But the sounds of music can't compare
    with the Christmas choir up here.

    I have no words to tell you,
    the joy their voices bring,
    For it is beyond description,
    to hear the angels sing.

    I know how much you miss me,
    I see the pain inside your heart.
    But I am not so far away,
    We really aren't apart.

    So be happy for me, dear ones,
    you know I hold you dear.
    And be glad I'm spending Christmas
    with Jesus Christ this year.

    I sent you each a special gift,
    from my heavenly home above.
    I sent you each a memory
    of my undying love.

    After all, 'Love' is a gift
    more precious than pure gold.
    It was always most important
    in the stories Jesus told.

    Please love and keep each other,
    as my Father said to do.
    I can't count the blessing or love
    He has for each of you.

    So have a Merry Christmas
    and wipe away that tear
    Remember, I am spending Christmas
    with Jesus Christ this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful, Amy. It's amazing that butterfly was there. I've actually read and reread this posting many times and I am always in tears remembering beautiful Lilly. I'm not sure if I've ever told you this, but at her service I felt the presence of Jesus with us more than I ever have before. It was so powerful and comforting. Seeing that butterfly picture is such a touching reminder that Lilly is in the hands of the Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete