Thursday, May 27, 2010

Meet Jasmine

On May12 my dog, Belle, died.  I have had her for 9 years.  So sad.  This is a picture of her with Lilly :).  She had cancer, so Scott and I have been preparing Liberty for her death for several weeks.  When we told her that Belle was dying she replied, "Well, I have always wanted a cat."  While this may seem a bit harsh, it is classic Liberty.  She is just very simple and practical about some things.  So, Scott and I decided that once Belle passed away, she would get her cat.

Originally, Scott and I had it in our mind that we would get a pure breed cat.  We wanted the "perfect" cat for are family.  I did all the research and found the exact breed of cat that would fit our lifestyle.  Then I went in search of this cat.  Not only was it impossible to find, I realized that purchasing a pure breed cat (much like a pure breed dog) was going to be quite expensive.  So, I decided a domestic shorthair it was going to be.  We headed to the local pet stores where we found that these adorable little non-pedigree kittens were going to run us around $75.  This seemed absolutely ridiculous.  Haven't I seen a million "free kitten" signs around town.  We also looked around at the local shelters, but they have primarily adult cats and Liberty wanted a kitten.  So, on a whim, I search Craig's List and, of course, found the perfect kitten.  The owners had named her Lilly :).  I told Liberty that we couldn't call her Lilly because that is her sisters name.  She said, "Then I will name her Jasmine because that is also a flower."  Again, very simple and practical.

Her first night home
playing in a basket
We picked up this little sweetheart last night.  She is a silver and black tabby and she is 9 weeks old.  When we got her home we shut her in Liberty's room so she could adjust slowly to her new surroundings.  She was very timid.  She immediately ran under the bed and was very hesitant to come out.  However, if everyone left and she was in there alone, she would meow loudly until someone came back.  It took her most of the day today to warm up to us, but now she is happy to let us pet her and she even crawled in my lap earlier.  She also loves to play and been sitting in Emory's toy basket and pouncing on puzzle pieces all day.  Her favorite spot in under Scott's recliner.  We lost her for a good 2 hours earlier in the day.  Liberty, in tears, was sure she had somehow escaped and was gone forever.  Liberty, with the aid of a flashlight, finally found Jasmine hiding comfortably underneathe the recliner.  This is troublesome for obvious reasons.  I guess we will just have to check before we sit down.  Hopefully, as she grows, she will no longer fit under there.

This has also quickly become a favorite spot.

Needless to say, we are super happy and excited about the new addition to our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment