Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Who made God?

This is a discussion that I have been having with Liberty lately.  The most recent conversation went like this...WARNING:  the following conversation contains highly intellectual and scientific content as well as deep spiritual and biblical insight!

Last night we were laying in bed and Liberty turned to me and said...

Liberty:  "Mom, I'm very confused."
Me:  "What are you confused about?"
Liberty:  "Well, I just don't understand who made God.  I'm mean, did someone else make him and if so, who made that person?"
Me:  "No one made God.  He has always existed." (See, deep spiritual insight).
Liberty:  "That is very confusing"
Me:  "You're right it is confusing." (Feel free to use that one on your own children if you find yourself in a similar conversation).
Liberty:  "Well, I just don't understand what everything was like before the Earth was made."
Me:  "It was all dark and God was just hanging out by himself." (Seriously, even I'm impressed with this answer).
Liberty: "I just don't understand."  (You can really see that I'm truly making a difference at this point).
Me:  "Maybe God was just sitting in Heaven before he created everything."
Liberty:  "But Mom, God CREATED Heaven.  The bible says so!"  (Ok, so she got me there, but can I at least take credit for teaching her the story of creation in school.)
Me:  "You're right.  You are very smart."

This seemed to be the end of the conversation because she didn't ask anymore questions and fell asleep.  I would like to think it was because she was deeply satified with my enlightened responses.  However, it is more likely she figured she could come up with something better on her own!

I love the my inquisitive little girl keeps me thinking and growing.  I don't always have the answer (or even a good guess), but we can figure it out together.

No comments:

Post a Comment