Monday, November 17, 2008

Bisphenol A (BPA)

BPA is a synthetic sex hormone that mimics estrogen and is used to make hard polycarbonate plastics. Several studies conducted by environmental organizations such as Environment California and the Environmental Working Group have concluded that the plasitc in baby products such as bottles and food containers leached this harmful chemical into the contents of the bottle, exposing babies to a level of of BPA that causes harm in laboratory animal studies.

Bisphenol A has been linked to early onset of puberty, obesity, diabetes, and behavior problems. The developing fetus and infants are most vulnerable to the effects of BPA and they also have the most exposure. Almost all infant bottles, plastic food containers and liquid formula contain BPA!

The FDA is maintains that these products are safe and the levels of BPA leached into these products is not significant enough to cause harm to developing babies. However, the studies mentioned above provide contradictory evidence.

I know we just one more thing to worry about, right. Honestly, if I hadn't already lost a child, it probably wouldn't even be on my radar. However, until someone can tell me why my baby died and why her body didn't work like everyone else's, I think I can take this minor precaution and not expose my other children to something that could possibly be poisoning them!

If you want more information on BPA visit the following websites:
http://www.ewg.org/chemindex/chemicals/23297
http://www.chej.org/BPA_Website.htm
http://www.enviroblog.org/2007/09/bisphenol-a-in-your-body.htm?gclid=CO7X9NGi_ZYCFQKJxgodExz9_g

--Amy

2 comments:

  1. Amy, I love your blog! I have been begging Devin to get your blog address from Scott. You have so many cool extras-- music, stickers, etc. Mine is so boring in comparision. I will have to work on that. =) Ours is thecurranchronicle.blogspot.com. We're praying for your appointment tomorrow! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the "learning new" stuff after having gone through everything with Makenna. That is why we were so hesitant to give Marlee her shots on "their" schedule. Not that shots did anything to Makenna...but it sure made us think long and hard.

    ReplyDelete